Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary in Goa
The Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary is located close to Usgao, at the junction of Ponda, Sanguem and Sattari talukas. Bondla’s moist deciduous forests interspersed with evergreen are the habitat of a wide variety of flora and fauna. Bondla is the least rugged of Goa’s sanctuaries, with manicured gardens to boot. Its proximity to Ponda’s temple trail ensures that it has lots of visitors.
Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary is situated 52 km from Panaji in the foothills of the Western Ghats in Goa. The area of this sanctuary is 8 square kms. It includes a Mini Zoo, Deer Safari Park, Formal Gardens, Botanic Gardens and a few Ecotourism Cottages.
Best time to visit Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
The best season to visit the Sanctuary is from October to March. Although tourists visit Bondla anytime of the year.
Places to See and Activities in Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
- Elephant rides: It is offered in the afternoons, around 4 PM.
- Zoological Park – A tiny zoo in moated enclosures with natural surroundings. A few elephant, panther, lion, gaur, sambar, deers, sloth bear, porcupine, wild boar, crocodiles, and reptiles.
- Deer Safari Park – Visitors can move among deers in vehicles inside the Deer Safari Park housing sambar and spotted deers.
- Formal Gardens – Lawns, exotic trees, varieties of roses, and colourful flowering plants in the middle of the forest.
- Botanical Gardens – Collection of plants.
- Nature Education Centre – Exhibits to see, feel and interpret. An attached library, with video movies screened on request.
- Birdwatching – Bondla is home to over a hundred bird species. For details on bird-watching areas contact the Park Range Office. See wild animals You need to scan from watch towers, to spy gaur, sambar, and wild boar at water-holes. You need luck too.
- Nature trails – For the more energetic.
- Archaeological exhibit – Deity Gajalaxmi with several motifs in bold relief, from the sixth to eighth century venerated by ancient settlers are located here.
Please note that the zoo, deer safari, and garden are closed on Thursdays.
Nearby Attractions (Places of Tourist Interest)
Safa Shahouri Masjid (Mosque) : Before reaching Bondla, step in Safa Shahouri Masjid in Ponda. Built by Adil Shah in 1560, the original mosque was destroyed in the hand of Portuguese and a new one was built up again in its place.
Timing of the Bondla Sanctuary inGoa
Timings: 9 am to 5 pm
Thursdays: closed (Zoo, deer safari, garden)
Entry fees of Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
Adult – Rs. 5,
Child – Rs. 2,
Bike – Rs. 10,
Car – Rs. 50,
Bus – Rs. 100,
Camera – Rs. 25,
Video – Rs. 100
*Note: Rates are subject to Change. For latest entry fees and other rates please check with Forest Department or Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary Authorities.
Wildlife in Sanctuary
You can find panther, jungle cat, leopard cat, toddy cat, deer, wild boars, porcupines, ant eaters, or squirrels are some of the other animals here. Over a hundred species of birds are believed to be here.
Flora at the Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
The forest cover of Bondla wildlife sanctuary consists of moist deciduous forests and evergreen vegetation patches. One can find bamboo plantations along with trees like Terninalia Crenulata also known as Matti, Rosewood, Lagerstroemia, Kindall, Jamba, Mimusops, etc.
How to reach Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
By road: Bondla is off National Highway 4A that connects Belgaum with Panjim. Branch off at Mollem.
- Route1: Mollem-Satpal Sancorda-Shivddem-Bondla. (20 kms).
- Branch off at Tiska Route: Tiska – Usgaon – Ganhem – Bondla (14 kms).
- Route: Margao-Ponda-Usgao-Ganjem-Bondla (36 kms)
- Route: Panjim-Ponda-Usgao-Ganjem-Bondla (52 kms).
By Rail: Collem (on the Mormugao-Hubli line). Route: Collem-Mollem-Sancorda-Shivddem-Bondla: 28 kms.
Carambolim (Karmali Railway Station, on Konkan Railway) Route: Carambolim-Old Goa-Ponda-Usgao-Ganjem-Bondla: 40 kms.
Many tourists currently travel via their own transport as hired taxis are quite costly.
Forest Department Bus
The Forest Department has announced that it is contemplating to run a bus service from TISKA to BONDLA everyday, except Thursday.
Departure time from Tiska: 11.00 hrs and 19.30 hrs
Departure time from Bondla: 07.30 hrs and 17.45 hrs.
Restaurants in Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
There are few Small restaurants in the area in which the tourist can find local and other cuisines.
Accommodations Bondla Wildlife Sanctuary
Ecotourism cottages here can accommodate 24 persons. Two dormitories have a total of 48 beds. There is also a Hornbill Cottage at the Ecotourism Complex.
|National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuary in Goa|